What kind of information do we collect?
- There are cases where Birki may ask you for personal information, such as your name, address, date of birth, gender, email address etc. We do this for instance when you register for contests/promotions, respond to communication such as email, and for services that require registration or subscription. If you would like to be on our mailing list, we will ask you to actively double-opt-in. We might also collect personal information from you about a third party, for instance if the website allows you to sent an e-postcard, in which case we need to know the name and email address of the recipient. That information will only be used for the specific purpose (delivering the e-postcard) and Birki will not further contact the third party unless the third party contacts us.
- When you visit our website we collect so called ‘click stream’ data (server address, domain name etc). This information can be combined with information you have provided to us (for instance by registering), which will enable us to analyze and better customize your visits.
- When you order a product or service from us via our website, we will ask you to provide certain information about yourself by filling out and submitting an online form. We may ask that you provide us personal information, such as your first and last name, mailing address (including zip code), email address, employer, job title and department, telephone and facsimile numbers, and other personal identifying information. When ordering products or services on the site, you may be asked to provide a credit card number. Depending upon the activity, some of the information we ask you to provide is identified as mandatory and some as voluntary. If you do not provide the mandatory data with respect to a particular activity, you will not be able to engage in that activity.
Use of visitors’ information
- To administer a contest, promotion, survey or other site feature and to provide you with the relevant products or services (for instance to deliver a prize you may have won in a contest).
- To send you information/materials via email about products, offers and news we think could interest you. This information may relate to products, offers and news of Birki and/or its license or carefully selected commercial partners. We only send you this if you have double-opted-in to receive Birki LP emails. In case you do not want to receive any emails from us anymore, or if you want to modify your personal data or want your personal data to be deleted from our database, we refer you to the ‘Double-opt-out, delete or modify personal information’ section below.
- To analyze visits to the website and learn about the interests of our visitors in aggregate and also on personal level to better understand your interest and need, so we can improve our products and services and deliver to you the type of content, features and promotions that you are most interested in.
- We may submit your credit card or other payment information that you have provided when ordering and purchasing products and services on our site. We may also collect information from you at other points on our site that state that such information is being collected.
Who manages visitors’ information
Protection of visitors’ information
In order to protect the information you provide to us by visiting our website we have implemented various security measures. Your personal information is contained behind secured networks and is only accessible by a limited number of people, who have special access rights and are required to keep the information confidential.
- In order to most efficiently serve you, credit card transactions and order fulfillment are handled by established third party banking, processing agents and distribution institutions. They receive the information needed to verify and authorize your credit card or other payment information and to process and ship your order. Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet or any wireless network can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, while we strive to protect your personally information, you acknowledge that: (a) there are security and privacy limitations of the Internet which are beyond our control; (b) the security, integrity and privacy of any and all information and data exchanged between you and us through this site cannot be guaranteed; and (c) any such information and data may be viewed or tampered with in transit by a third party.
- Please keep in mind though that whenever you give out personal information online there is a risk that third parties may intercept and use that information. While Birki strives to protect its user's personal information and privacy, we cannot guarantee the security of any information you disclose online and you do so at your own risk.
Birki LP encourages parents and guardians to spend time online with their children and to participate in the activities offered with the multitude of sites the World Wide Web (www) offers.
Birki is committed to protect the privacy of children and has no intention of collecting personal data from children under the age of 13. If you are a child under the age of 13 and you try to submit your data, the information will not be accepted and we will inform you that we do not accept data from children under 13. We encourage parents and guardians of children under 13 to regularly check and monitor their children’s use of email and other activities online.
Disclosing personal information to third parties
Other than to the companies belonging to the Birki LP for the purposes set out above, and except as described below we do not sell, trade or otherwise transfer your personal information to third parties without informing you in advance and in accordance with applicable data protection law. All members of Birki LP value the privacy and protection of your personal information and have similar privacy policies in place. 1We do provide some of our services through contractual arrangements with affiliates, services providers, partners and other third parties. We and our service partners use your personal information to operate our sites and to deliver their services. For example, your data may be transferred to web site hosting partners and other parties who assist us in designing and operating the website, executing services (for instance prize fulfillment) or help us analyze collected data. These parties will only use your data for the purpose of carrying out the work as indicated and will be required to keep the information confidential. 1We will encourage our service partners to adopt and post privacy policies. However, the use of your personal information by our service partners is governed by the privacy policies of those service partners, and is not subject to our control. We will also release personal data without consent if such is required by law, for security purposes, or to prevent imminent harm.
A cookie is a small string of information that the website that you visit transfers to your computer for identification purposes. Cookies can be used to follow your activity on the website and that information helps us to understand your preferences and improve your website experience. Cookies are also used to remember for instance your user name and password.
You can turn off all cookies, in case you prefer not to receive them. You can also have your computer warn you whenever cookies are being used. For both options you have to adjust your browser settings (like Mozilla Firefox). There are also software products available that can manage cookies for you. Please be aware though that when you have set your computer to reject cookies, it can limit the functionality of the website you visit and it’s possible then that you do not have access to some of the features on the website.
Double-opt-out, delete or modify personal information
You may cancel your registration at any time, and you can choose to double-opt-out of receiving any emails from Birki. Additionally you can choose to have all your personal information deleted from our database.
If you want to opt-out, delete or modify your personal information, please visit the registration page. We encourage you promptly to update your personal information if it changes.
Changes to the policy
We may from time to time need to amend this policy, due to changes in regulations and to keep up with new developments and possibilities on the internet. We therefore reserve the right at our discretion to make these changes and ask you to check this page periodically, as you are bound by these changes when visiting our website.
How you can contact us
8171 Redwood Blvd
Novato, CA 94945
Last revised: October 2012